terça-feira, outubro 17, 2006

My first time driving in a foreign country: Norway - 380 Km

Last Monday I went to Trondheim to spend there two weeks: the first one looking for sites to put clothing banks and the second one fundraising.
This time I didn`t hitchhike (!) because I and Raquel were going to need a car to do sitefinding. So, I have driven 380 km, from Oyer to Trondheim, in a green old Toyota. Hippie style!
I, Raquel and Lenka left Hornsjo at 2 p.m., more or less, and my first adventure was to go down the mountain. Everything was ok, except for the fact that it started to be foggy.
When we arrived to Oyer we went to the bank to get some money and to a petrol station to put some fuel and check the oil. After that, it was time to get the E6 towards Trondheim. 380 km to go and with no radio...
I couldn´t drive very fast because the speed limit is of 80 km per hour, but I and Raquel had plenty of subjects to talk about. After a couple of hours we stopped because Lenka had to go to the toilet and I enjoyed the opportunity to drink a coffee. Of course!
Time was passing by in slow motion when we saw something wonderful: Trondheim`s National Park. It has amazing mountains and we already could see snow on the top!
Later on, it started getting dark and there were no lamps along the road. So, I couldn´t see much and I had to slow down. The problem was that the drivers started complaining, by doing light signs. Who said that Portuguese people are stressed behind the wheel? Norwegians are worse, I must say!
At 9.30 p.m. we arrived to the place where we were going to stay for two weeks: a church that is also a school. I was tired, but also glad. In fact, this was my first time driving in a foreign country and doing so many km. Something to remember later on...