domingo, agosto 20, 2006

My First Fundraising Experience

When I was a GAIA, in Birmingham, a lot of DI`s from Hull came to our school to do fundraising in the city centre. Sometimes I would see them on the streets, with the magazines in their hands, trying to convince people about their work. Some looked frustrated and I wondered how it would be with me…
Yesterday was my first time fundraising on the streets. Lillehammer was the city chosen and we arrived there in the morning.
Sissel went with my team to give us some help and support. First, we were divided in groups, so we could take the best out of each street. We agreed that we would have a break after one hour and we went to our spots. At that time a lot of thoughts were dancing in my head. How am I going to approach people? Who will be the best one to ask? And if I forget my speech?
When I arrived to my area, next to a phone box, I decided to stop thinking too much and just do it! I started asking people, but most of them said “no” or just ignored me. I started to feel frustrated or, who knows, even sad. What is wrong with me? But, after the break, I realized that I couldn`t take it personally. If people are rude, that`s their problem, not mine. So, my attitude consisted, basically, in being honest and sincere with them and have positive thinking!
At the end of the day I reached the goal that was proposed to us and, I think I can say it, everybody was happy for having finished this challenge. It was hard, but it was also important for me. All my life I was the one that avoided speaking with people that are asking for money on the street. Not that I was rude to them, but I usually said that I was in a hurry. Now I know how it is to be on the other side. I feel more conscious because my knowledge has grown. Little by little I am leaving my little world.